Thursday, December 11, 2008

NRI squabbles

“Hey! Mom, what’s up?” said Sonali over the phone, from California. “Nothing much. Just went out for a walk. Now plan to check the mail,” I said casually.

“Good to hear that. I’m so happy you are going for morning walks. You know the latest research at UCSD says morning walks release happy hormones that help the brain function better. You will be able to write better and….”

“Um.” I replied. “Are you listening to me. That is your problem, you never will give full attention to anything. What are you doing any way?” she asked angrily. “Just trying to spread the bedcover with the other hand”, I admitted guiltily.

“You are a clean freak. With Shubhi around you will any way have to straighten it out ten times during the day. Why can’t you to do one thing at a time?” she snapped.

It was nine in the morning for me but time for Sonali to get into bed. So before she grew crankier, I said quietly, “If dinner is over, drink something hot and sleep. I am sure you have a morning class.”

“No, you don’t bother. Mom I am not a school kid. I have to work on my term paper,” she retorted.

“Oh! Sorry about that. You know I am bit confused about the time difference,” I said, trying to bide time.

“But you always forget so there is no point telling you. Put Shubhi on the line”, she commanded.

“Sure. I will knock at her bedroom door”, I replied, happy to hear her change the subject. Moreover, I have encouraged this sibling bonding. A lot is achieved during these special sessions between them and it makes my job all that easier.

However, as luck would have it, Shubhi did not respond. “She is not opening the door. Sonali, call up an hour later”, I said.

“What are you saying. You let her sleep till ten in the morning. Usko, ap kuch nahin kahte. You would have given me hell. Mujhko toh eight O’clock utha kar painting class bhej dete the. Shubhi is thoroughly spoilt. Mom do something right away,” she said angrily.

“No. That is not true. She goes to school very early and then her tennis classes are extremely tiring. So on Sundays, I leave her alone,” I said, trying all logic.
Unfortunately, that did not pacify her. She snapped back, “Mom, all the kids do that. I find it difficult to take physical strain because I never played outdoor games. I want Shubhi to do everything.”

“And by the way, did you get to see the list of Classics I had given her?” she inquired. “Instead of buying Goosbums, she better spend money on quality stuff”.

By now I had lost my patience. It was time to exercise my parental rights. “Sonali, how were mid-quarter grades. Sorry, I always forget to ask the relevant stuff”, I said in a voice dripping with emotion.

“Mom can’t hear. The line is getting bad. I think it is the new card I am using. Let Shubhi sleep. Will talk next week. Bye.” The phone had gone dead.

3 comments:

pallavi said...

This is so much like Sonali. Sonali just talks like that and isa mini mom to her.:)

pallavi said...

Mom loved the blog... she saying its hilarious. missing Sonali

Unknown said...

Amar Chitra Katha: Gift India's heritage to kids in your family.

Hi,

What better way to get your extended family's kids to get to know of India's rich culture and

heritage? Gift them the complete collection of Amar Chitra Katha. Illustrated Indian stories for

children and youngsters in the form of books, comics, DVDs, VCDs, CDs, toys & games.

Start shopping now!

For the latest Tinkle stories - confused Suppandi, smart aleck Kalia et all, click on

http://www.ack-media.com/affiliate/scripts/t.php?a_aid=ACK090304&a_bid=27606944

For the evergreen Amar Chitra Katha - stories of triumph of truth & valour, click on
http://www.ack-media.com/affiliate/scripts/t.php?a_aid=ACK090304&a_bid=3d21bc30

For Karadi Tales - stories from the wise old bear, click on

http://www.ack-media.com/affiliate/scripts/t.php?a_aid=ACK090304&a_bid=0c1dc065

Enjoy wisdom with entertainment with Amar Chitra Katha!