Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A letter to my granddaughter

Dear Ritika,
I just received a message from your dad. He said you had got a first class for the third consecutive year and it is a rare feat in Cambridge. He was going for your convocation ceremony with Anju(your mom) and little brother Anantya. When you receive my letter, they might have already reached.

I do not have words today to tell you how much happiness you have brought the whole family. We feel so proud of you. Your ‘dada’(grandfather) if he had been around would have said, “Ritika has fulfilled my childhood dream of studying economics in a prestigious college abroad”. I don’t think he ever shared this with you because you were very young when you went away to Singapore.

When children do well, the credit for their success goes to their parents as well. Both Anju, and Bunty have been terrific parents. I have seen your mom take care of you as a child and she was the best. Every single moment of her life she was concerned about your health, education and extremely careful that you grow up to be an honest, brave, bright and confident girl. These are the values you are going to carry forward in life. Your dad has worked hard for the family to be able to provide the best possible for his children. I am writing this to you as a parent who brought up three wonderful children and I know from my own experience what it takes to bring up children and set them on their path to success and then let them be.

As a grandmother I can share a small experience from life. People who succeed in life and lead happy lives are the ones who are kind, generous, share and reach out to others. Families that remain united are the ones who not only share happy moments but also stand up for each other in times of distress. I don’t know whether I have been able to put it across properly but always remember to take care of your loved ones wherever you are and whatever you do.

I will wait for you to come to Delhi so that I can give you a small present and a big hug. Your aunts, uncles and cousins send you their best wishes and loads of love.

Love,
Dadi

“I could not help but write on mom’s behalf. Unfortunatley my mother suffers from Alzheimers. She cannot write nor can she speak. However, it was as if she was writing and not me.”

1 comment:

sandhya raman said...

Even as I began reading it I could picture aunty's face in front of me....I didn't need the last two lines to know. This was written beautifully and brought tears to my eyes. People like us who havwe known uncle and aunty ever since we were knee high will share these sentiments. Love you...Rani